If you feel bogged down by cold and gloomy weather, you may be suffering from Seasonal Affective Disorder or SAD (yes, ‘winter blues’ is officially a clinical disorder).
Just like its abbreviation, Seasonal Affective Disorder is not a pleasant state to be in.
You may experience one or more of the following symptoms:
- Moderate to severe depression
- Food cravings
- Lack of focus
- Lethargy and chronic fatigue
- Low immunity levels
- Loss of libido
- Weight gain
- Excessive sleepiness
- Mood swings
SAD is usually triggered by a lack of sunlight and physical activity. The fact that the days are colder and shorter does not help either. No wonder then, many of us would rather spend the day tucked in bed or head for a sunshine break.
There is no reason however to let the winter gloom get to you and dampen your spirits. Scientific research has shown that people suffering from seasonal depression are relatively more sensitive to smells and respond well to the aromas of essential oils.
Here are some oils that are highly effective in restoring the mind-body balance and uplifting the mood:
- Bergamot – The fresh, tangy scent has a balancing effect on the mind and calms undesirable emotions like stress, anxiety, sadness, and anger. It also restores confidence, wellness, and energy.
- Orange and Lemon – Citrusy scents are known to energize, rejuvenate and uplift – perfect for reviving your zest during cold winter months.
- Grapefruit – One of the most versatile and feel-good scents, it is well-known for its natural anti-depressive properties.
- Clary Sage – This sweet and earthy scent nourishes the soul and induces a feeling of euphoria, self-confidence, wellness, and inner peace. It also helps to balance the hormones.
- Ylang Ylang – A sensual scent that is relaxing and mildly sedative – especially useful if you have been battling stress and mental fatigue.
- Jasmine – The exotic floral aroma of Jasmine spreads cheer and freshness. Great for depression and disorders of a psychosomatic nature.
Take a whiff to rev up your energy levels. Essential oils for Seasonal Affective Disorder may be used in one of the following ways:
Massage – The recommended essential oil can be blended with a carrier oil or cream and used for massage after showering or at any time. How about massaging your hands and feet?
The fragrance alleviates feelings of depression.
Diffusion– The physical environment is impregnated with the aroma of essential oils for a long-lasting and sustained effect. Use an aromatherapy diffuser: Fill the diffuser with water, add 6-10 drops of essential oil and enjoy.
Baths –Fill your bath with warm water and mix 2 tbs of vegetable oil with 10 drops of essential oil and add it to ½ cup of unscented salt (Epsom salts are a great choice). This can also be adapted to a foot soak.
DōTERRA Certified Pure Tested Grade essentials oils are available to purchase at Enhance Wellness.
Email firstname.lastname@example.org or call 0851148586 for more information.